Table of Contents
There are many advantages to weight training, such as staying fit and toning your whole body muscles so you look good. Take note though, if you’re new to training with heavy weights, then you must start at a slow pace. If you charge into it believing that you can lift heavy weights all day long, you will soon suffer the consequences of soreness and even possible injury.
Don’t treat this type of training as if it’s a walk in the park that anyone can do. It takes time and dedication to make sure you do it right. Research the topic so you can create yourself a weekly program of working out, that suits your personal needs. It’s important to start at the right level for your current fitness rate.
The ideal equipment for this type of strength training is a multifunctional weight bench. What better than having one in your own home. Home gyms are becoming increasingly popular. No subscription fees, and no trying to fit gym training into a busy work schedule. You can even invite your buddies around so you can help each other lift the weights.
In 1975 an iconic bodybuilder, Joe Gold, opened up a shack for himself and his buddies, and Gold’s Gym was founded. Today, they have a global presence. This is a company that has proven itself time and again to be a world leader in fitness equipment.
Whilst they specialize in an array of training machines, they have developed their workbenches for Olympic standard workouts. Have a look at their history and see for yourself how this is a fitness manufacturer you can trust.
If you’re a novice, or even at the intermediary level, then the Gold’s Gym XRS 20 is the perfect bench for you to consider. Don’t take our word for it, watch this video to give you an idea of how you can use the solid framed Gold’s Gym XRS 20.
Gold’s Gym XRS 20 Olympic Workout Bench
Features of the Gold’s Gym XRS 20
Whilst it doesn’t come with weights and bars, it still has plenty of features to get you started. The squat rack is a versatile addition and combined with the added bench, you can work on sculpturing and toning your whole body. Have a look at a few of the features:
- It has a heavy steel frame that is separate from the bench rack. The whole footprint is L65 x W49.5 x H73-inches. You’ll need a floor space of around 8×6-feet to move around with ease.
- Takes a weight capacity of up to 600-pounds. That’s meant to be balanced at around 300-pounds body weight and the rest in the weight of the equipment you add.
- With three bench positions, you can sit with an incline, decline, or lay flat, depending on the strength training routine you’re performing. It falls at the perfect height for a comfortable position, which is important when lifting heavyweights. The firm padded bench seating has double stitching, making it longer lasting. The seat is the perfect width for a comfortable strength training workout.
- The adjustable free-standing squat rack can also be used at four different levels using 10-inch safety catches. You can be confident that it’s solid for lifting heavy weights, or even partial reps. Whilst this feature should make is safe to do weight lifting on your own, they are a little on the short side. You might miss them when placing the weights back on the rack. Ideally, you should have a training buddy with you when using this feature.
- The in-built storage area at the back of the rack helps to keep those Standard or Olympic-sized plates tidy when not in use. It also lends a good bit of weight to the rack, adding to the balance of the solid frame when in use.
- The detachable leg extension is also a leg curling feature. This is ideal for working on those hamstrings and quads. It’s designed to allow ample room to spread with comfort.
- The preacher curl attaches with the simple feature of a screw. It sits solidly and you can adjust it to a level that suits your arms. If you’re looking for ideas on how to use this feature, have a look at T-Nation’s article that shows some great curling workouts.
Expand your Home Gym
Once you start building up your home gym, you’ll soon realize the benefits of owning your own fitness machines. It won’t be long before you’ll be looking to add to the home gym for the rest of your family too. To give you an idea of other machines to consider, read our article on “The Best Home Exercise Equipment and Fitness Tools 2019.” https://www.thefitness.blog/best-home-exercise-equipment. It includes adjustable dumbbells and ab rollers that will complement your Gold’s Gym XRS20. Even better, it details many other larger fitness machines.
You can be confident in the Gold’s Gym XRS20 Olympic Workout Bench with features such as a six-roll leg developer. When you compare it to its competitors, such as the Marcy workbench, it’s not only cheaper but gives you two fitness machines instead of one. The Marcy rack and bench are attached, as they often are in many similar fitness benches. With the Gold’s Gym XRS20 you can create more space by moving the rack away from the bench.
Buy your bars and disks in advance so that you’re ready to get started on the day you assemble it. Once assembled, with 47-inches between the bench towers, you’ll soon be fitting a 7-foot bar with Olympic disks, and ready to begin. Keep your body toned with all the features the sturdy Gold’s Gym XRS20 Olympic Workout Bench has to offer.
This article was last updated on July 16, 2021 .
The Fitness Blog is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn More.